Safety car hinders race action at Norisring

The FIA Formula Three championship took to the Norisring this weekend producing yet more safety car periods. The wet conditions of the first race of the weekend hampered any real race action.

For safety reasons in these weather conditions, the race started behind the safety car before racing got underway at the start of lap four. Starting thirtieth, Pietro Fittipaldi charged through the grid once the race had begun, despite the wet conditions. Although these conditions had caused a number of spins and drivers missing their braking points during the first few laps, their had been no need for a safety car for these reasons in the early stages of the race.

However, on lap 17 Dennis, Ferrucci, Solomon and Maini retired after accidents. As the rain continued, the race was concluded behind the safety car.

Having gained eleven places throughout the race duration, Fittipaldi crossed the line in nineteenth. Matt Rao also enjoyed a progressive race gaining six positions after starting twenty-ninth and finishing twenty-third.

The second race of the weekend saw numerous safety car interruptions. During the early stages of the race, Tveter spun after a collision causing the first safety car of the race. The race resumed after the eighth before the second safety car was deployed after Beretta barrel-rolled his car after tangling with Solomon.

Shortly after the race restart on lap 20, Giovinacci, Dennis and Ferrucci collided causing the third safety car intervention. Fittipaldi faced an unfortunate end to his second race. During the closing stages, the car spun and was stuck on track. Ling was unable to avoid Fittipaldi’s car resulting in the fourth safety car.

Despite the limited time for race action, Rao managed to gain five places during the race after starting twenty-sixth and crossing the line in twenty-first.

The third and final race of the weekend was interrupted on several occasions due to more safety car periods. Despite these circumstances, Fittipaldi was able to make huge gains during the race, starting from twenty-eighth and moving up twelve positions.

From the start MacLeod ran into the rear of Solomon causing the first safety car to be deployed. Within two laps of the restart, the safety car was back out after Menezes and G√ľnther collided.

Once the race had resumed, a battle was brewing between Rao and Jeffri. The duel continued until lap 24 when the two cars collided, bringing Rao’s second race to an unfortunate close. The collision caused the final safety car intervention period. Fittipaldi went on to finish in sixteenth.


No Comments

Post A Comment